The Certificate 3 Guarantee supports eligible individuals to complete their first post-school certificate III qualification. It also supports school students to access training and Queensland’s Year 12 graduates to transition to employment by providing free training in high priority qualifications.
The Certificate 3 Guarantee is targeted at certificate III qualifications because they are considered the entry-level qualification most often needed to gain employment in many industry sectors.
Foundation skills and lower level vocational qualifications may also be delivered based on the learning needs of the student. For more information, including other student cohorts who can access training, refer to the Certificate 3 Guarantee Program Policy below.
The full list of subsidised qualifications is available on the Priority Skills List.
The list of registered training organisations (RTOs) approved to deliver each subsidised qualification is published on the Queensland Skills Gateway.
Individuals are free to choose their preferred RTO from this list. The subsidy is paid directly to the RTO as training is delivered and reported to the department.
The investment priority or importance of the training influences the size of the government subsidy. Training in vocational areas that align with important economic and industry skills needs will receive a higher government subsidy. A higher subsidy will also be paid to support participation by disadvantaged learners (concessional students), and those undertaking training in identified country and remote locations.
The full list of subsidy levels for qualifications is available on the Priority Skills List.
Given the benefits that accrue to individuals from training, students undertaking certificate III training and non-concessional students undertaking lower level training, will be required to contribute to the costs of their training through a co-contribution fee.
The fee may be paid on behalf of the student by the employer or a third party unrelated to the PQS, but cannot be paid or waived by the PQS.
The amount of the fee is determined by the PQS.
Under the free tafe for Year 12 graduates initiative, the Queensland Government will cover the full cost of training in a high priority qualification. This means eligible participants will not be required to contribute to the cost of their training.
1. Certificate 3 Guarantee Program Policy 2018–19 v1.1 (PDF, 252 KB) or (DOCX, 261 KB) – effective 2 August 2018
2. Pre-qualified Supplier Policy 2018–19 (PDF, 366 KB) or (DOCX, 303 KB) – effective 1 July 2018
3. Certificate 3 Guarantee RTO fact sheet (PDF, 156 KB) or (DOCX, 281 KB)
4. Certificate 3 Guarantee student fact sheet (PDF, 240 KB) or (DOCX, 362 KB)
5. Certificate 3 Guarantee disadvantaged learners fact sheet (PDF, 162 KB) or (DOCX, 153 KB)
6. Pre-qualified supplier marketing and disclosure directives fact sheet (PDF, 165 KB) or (DOCX, 162 KB)– effective 1 July 2018
7. Pre-qualified supplier subcontracting arrangements fact sheet (PDF, 359 KB)
8. Student training and employment survey fact sheet (PDF, 176 KB) or (DOCX, 338 KB)
9. Student training and employment survey response template (XLSX, 126 KB)
10. Pre-qualified supplier application fact sheet (PDF, 268 KB) or (DOCX, 329 KB)
11. VET Investment Programs – Pre-qualified supplier audit evidence requirements (v5.1, Aug 2018) (PDF, 856 KB) – effective 6 August 2018
12. Industry proposal – Funding submission for apprenticeships, traineeships and other qualifications (DOCX, 284 KB)
13. Priority skills localities and location loadings list 2018–19 (XLSX, 204 KB) – effective 1 July 2018
Access Certificate 3 Guarantee program documents from previous financial years.
For further information on the Certificate 3 Guarantee program, view the frequently asked questions page.
Free tafe for Year 12 graduates is available through two Queensland Government VET investment programs – the Certificate 3 Guarantee and User Choice. Read more about free tafe in high priority areas for Year 12 graduates.