The Certificate 3 Guarantee supports eligible individuals to complete their first post-school certificate III qualification. It also supports school students to access training and Queensland’s Year 12 graduates to transition to employment by providing free training in high priority qualifications.
The Certificate 3 Guarantee is targeted at certificate III qualifications because they are considered the entry-level qualification most often needed to gain employment in many industry sectors.
Foundation skills and lower level vocational qualifications may also be delivered based on the learning needs of the student. For more information, including other student cohorts who can access training, refer to the Certificate 3 Guarantee Program Policy below.
The full list of subsidised qualifications is available on the Priority Skills List.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
The list of registered training organisations (RTOs) approved to deliver each subsidised qualification is published on the Queensland Skills Gateway.
Individuals are free to choose their preferred RTO from this list. The subsidy is paid directly to the RTO as training is delivered and reported to the department.
Students who enrol under this program are required to complete a student training and employment survey within three months of completing or discontinuing the qualification.
The subsidy represents the level of government contribution for a qualification and varies between qualifications based on a number of factors.
The investment priority or importance of the training influences the size of the government subsidy. Training in vocational areas that align with important economic and industry skills needs will receive a higher government subsidy.
A higher subsidy will also be paid to support participation by disadvantaged learners (concessional students), and for training delivered locally in identified country and remote locations areas of Queensland, and Cape York and the Torres Strait.
The full list of subsidy levels for qualifications is available on the Priority Skills List.
Given the benefits that accrue to individuals from training, students undertaking certificate III level training and non-concessional students undertaking lower-level vocational training, will be required to contribute to the costs of their training through a co-contribution fee.
The co-contribution fee is determined by the SAS and may be paid on behalf of the student by the employer or another third party, but cannot be paid or waived by the SAS, or any organisation related to the SAS, unless approved by the department.
All fees are charged and collected prior to the commencement of training.
Cost of training and per unit fee.
*Certificate 3 Guarantee per unit tuition fee (Early Childhood Education and Care)
1. Certificate 3 Guarantee program policy 2020–21 (PDF, 200KB) or (DOCX, 121KB) – effective 1 July 2020
2. Skills Assure supplier policy 2020–21 (v1.1, Aug 2020) (PDF, 327KB) or (DOCX, 154KB) – effective 1 July 2020
3. Certificate 3 Guarantee – Registered training organisation (RTO) fact sheet (PDF, 137KB)
4. Certificate 3 Guarantee – Student fact sheet (PDF, 70KB)
5. Certificate 3 Guarantee – Support for disadvantaged learners fact sheet (PDF, 142KB) or (DOCX, 102KB)
6. Skills Assure supplier marketing and disclosure directive (PDF, 155KB) or (DOCX, 107KB) – effective 1 July 2020
7. Skills Assure supplier third party arrangements fact sheet (PDF, 165KB) or (DOCX, 97KB)
8. Student training and employment survey fact sheet (PDF, 149KB) or (DOCX, 106KB)
9. Student training and employment survey template (XLSX, 62KB)
10. VET investment programs – Skills Assure supplier audit evidence requirements (v1.0, July 2020) (PDF, 1MB) – effective 1 July 2020
11. Industry proposal – Funding submission for apprenticeships, traineeships and other qualifications (DOCX, 135KB)
12. Priority skills localities and location loadings list 2019–20 (XLSX, 179KB) – effective 1 July 2019
Access Certificate 3 Guarantee program documents from previous financial years.
For further information on the Certificate 3 Guarantee program, view the frequently asked questions page.
Domestic Administration – Donna Somodio
Contact; 1300 400 269
Domestic Administration – Kelly Seo
Contact; 1300 400 269