This qualification reflects the role of highly skilled senior managers who use a broad range of hospitality skills combined with specialised managerial skills and substantial knowledge of industry to coordinate hospitality operations. They operate with significant autonomy and are responsible for making strategic business management decisions.
This qualification provides a pathway to work in any hospitality industry sector and for a diversity of employers including restaurants, hotels, motels, catering operations, clubs, pubs, cafés, and coffee shops. This qualification allows for multiskilling and for specialisation in accommodation services, cookery, food and beverage and gaming.
Area or Operations Manager, Café Owner or Manager, Club Secretary or Manager, Executive Chef or Sous Chef, Food and Beverage Manager, Head Chef.
After successful completion of this qualification, students may have the opportunity to progress into BSB51915 – Diploma of Leadership and Management.
Students are required to have access to a computer with suitable word processing software and will require access to the internet for research purposes.
Credit may be assigned for the recognition of equivalence in content and learning outcomes between different types of learning and/or qualifications. Credit reduces the amount of learning required to achieve a qualification and may be acquiredthrough Credit Transfer or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
Students are required to reach a minimum level of English: IELTS 5.5 (with no individual band less than 5.0) or TOEFL 530 or ISLPR 2+.
For further advice or assistance, please contact the International Student Manager.
Other IELTS equivalence :
- PTE Academic 42
- Cambridge (adv) 47
- OET: Pass
Notes: Tests older than two years are not acceptable
(the snapshot under each course does not have this information which is required)
Workplace Based – offered in Queensland, workplace based (combination of training and assessment delivery methods, including written assessment, portfolio of evidence, logbook and practical observation), 12 months full time or 24 months part time
RPL – offered in Australia, external based (combination of assessment of written evidence, practical observation and competency conversations), duration and fees will be determined by quality of evidence submitted and amount of gap training required.
Fees and Funding Arrangements
Workplace Based (Fee for Service): Administration Fee: $30.00, Tuition Fees: $7,000.00
RPL: Administration Fee: $30.00, Tuition Fees: $5,250.00
Workplace Based (Higher Level Skills – for eligible students) – Administration Fee: $30.00, Contribution Fees: $350.00, Concessional Contribution Fees (for eligible students): $275.00. Refer to the Higher Level Skills Fact Sheet for more information.
Students must successfully complete all 14 mandatory core unit in order to achieve this qualification:
- BSBDIV501 Manage diversity in the workplace
- BSBFIM601 Manage finances
- BSBMGT517 Manage operational plan
- BSBMGT617 Develop and implement a business plan
- SITXCCS008 Develop and manage quality customer service practices
- SITXFIN003 Manage finances within a budget
- SITXFIN004 Prepare and monitor budgets
- SITXFIN005 Manage physical assets
- SITXGLC001 Research and comply with regulatory requirements
- SITXHRM003 Lead and manage people
- SITXHRM004 Recruit, select and induct staff
- SITXHRM006 Monitor staff performance
- SITXMGT001 Monitor work operations
- SITXMGT002 Establish and conduct business relationships
- SITXMPR007 Develop and implement marketing strategies
- SITXWHS004 Establish and maintain a work health and safety system
Students must successfully complete 17 elective units of competency in order to achieve this qualification:
- BSBADM502 Manage meetings
- BSBFIA301 Maintain financial records
- BSBITU201 Produce simple word processed documents
- BSBITU203 Communicate electronically
- BSBITU306 Design and produce business documents
- BSBMGT516 Facilitate continuous improvement
- BSBRES401 Analyse and present research information
- BSBWOR204 Use business technology
- SIRXSLS001 Sell to the retail customer
- SITHIND002 Source and use information on the hospitality industry
- SITHIND004 Work effectively in hospitality service*
- SITXCOM004 Address protocol requirements
- SITXCOM005 Manage conflict
- SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITXINV004 Control stock
- SITXMG003 Manage projects
- SITXWHS001 Participate in safe work practice
Elective unit selection may be contextualised to business requirements. All electives chosen must contribute to a valid, industry-supported vocational outcome.